Applications invited – Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) (Maternity Cover)
GuildHE are seeking talented candidates for a part-time maternity cover position as Senior Policy Adviser (Research and Innovation) from late May 2016.
In the role you will support research excellence for a network of distinctive institutions; drive forward the collaborative work, and build on the infrastructure of, the Consortium in line with developments in research policy with national and international stakeholders and funders; and continue to support the development of interconnected “islands of research excellence” in the member institutions.
Job Description: Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) – Maternity Cover
Line manager: GuildHE Chief Executive
Part time, 28 hrs per week (0.8 FTE)
Salary in range Point 30 – Point 35 + London Weighting (presently £31,655 to £36,672 plus £3,851)
Leave: 20 days annually (25 days pro rata at 0.8 FTE)
Location: based in Central London but involving occasional travel
Position available from late May 2016
- To liaise with research and innovation stakeholders and GuildHE Vice Chancellors to ensure that the diversity of the research sector as represented by GuildHE and CREST members is understood and accounted for vis-à-vis policy discourses and developments.
- To engage with relevant stakeholders to influence research and innovation policy discussions and to aid institutions in implementing these in their particular institutional contexts.
- To facilitate communication, collaboration and the sharing of best practice between GuildHE Members, CREST Research Leads and relevant academic and support staff and students.
- To manage the activities of the CREST network and oversee successful implementation of the CREST Review Strategic Overview and Strategy 2015-20, and to revise and update as appropriate.
- With support from GuildHE colleagues, to maintain and expand the Consortium’s shared infrastructure.
- To maintain the finances of CREST with support from GuildHE and to secure funding for its longer term sustainability for collaborative projects, as determined by the CREST Chair, Director and Research Group.
- More generally, to raise the profile of research and innovation in GuildHE and CREST Member institutions nationally and internationally.
- To represent GuildHE and CREST at policy forums, meetings, and events organised by research and innovation stakeholders
- To advise GuildHE and CREST Members on relevant policy developments, and reporting to GuildHE Executive and Council on CREST initiatives and developments
- To respond to relevant research and innovation policy consultations on behalf of GuildHE and CREST as agreed with the GuildHE CEO and colleagues, CREST Chair, and Director and colleagues
- To support CREST Research Leads in building research capacity and building research impact profiles in line with preparations for (but not limited to) future Research Excellence Frameworks and relevant institutional milestones such as Research Degree Awarding Power applications
- To aid Research Leads in raising the profile of CREST within Members’ institutions
- To support Research Leads with respect to developing the collaborative CREST Infrastructure: for example, the CREST Collections EPrints Open Access Repository, the CREST website, CREST sub-groups and relevant GuildHE networks, e.g. Innovation, Enterprise and Knowledge Exchange (IEKE) network
- To identify, coordinate, and contribute to consortial funding bids for, and serving as Project Lead on behalf of, CREST as appropriate
- To lead the CREST Research Data Management Shared Service Pilot, a two-year Jisc funded project (2016-2018)
- To lead CREST Research Group meetings and devise CREST policy and career development / training events in collaboration with relevant stakeholders with the aim of engaging and supporting a cross section of the CREST research community
- To negotiate joint-subscriptions for shared research services
- To oversee, maintain, and report on the CREST budget in collaboration with GuildHE Officers and Advisors
- To line manage and support the career development of the CREST Research Network Coordinator, and GuildHE colleagues supporting GuildHE and CREST-led research initiatives and activities
- To represent GuildHE externally, including through blogs and as an observer and/or representative on relevant HE sector agencies, groups, and projects.
- To assist the GuildHE Chief Executive Officer and colleagues to maintain a network of advice and support on research activity for Members of the Consortium and Members of GuildHE.
- To liaise closely on policy matters, where appropriate, with other relevant agencies and bodies such as but not limited to Universities UK, the Higher Education Funding Council for England and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, RCUK, the EC, International Unit, JISC, and any future versions thereof.
- To act on behalf of GuildHE in accordance with its policies and procedures.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required by the Chief Executive Officer.
GuildHE is committed to promoting equal opportunities and aims to ensure that no prejudice or discrimination is shown towards particular individuals or groups on the grounds of race, gender, disability, age or sexual orientation
Please send a CV and covering letter to Rachel Persad, Senior Policy Adviser (Research & Innovation) email@example.com by Monday 18th April 2016.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 3rd May at our London office.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0203 393 6135.