PhD by Design – Making knowledge travel: exploring modes of dissemination for practice-based design research
The topic of the day is inspired by the many questions raised around research dissemination during the PhD by Design conference at Goldsmiths in November 2014. Through this study day, the organisers aim to make space for tentative yet innovative ideas rather than gathering around polished knowledge and methods of dissemination. Everyone attending will also be presenting and contribute to create a supportive environment for discussion and exploration.
Some of the questions the workshop will tackle include:
• Who is the audience for practice-based design research? And how can we reach it?
• What ways of disseminating reflect the inventive ways in which practice-based research is done?
• How to write up research with non-academic collaborators?
• How to push the boundaries of what counts as research and valuable dissemination?
• How to mediate that which is not linguistic in practice-based research?
As an outcome of the day, all the participants will contribute to creating an instant journal. So that at the end of the day, everyone will leave with a record of the knowledge, ideas and proposals generated during the workshop day.
How to register
Please complete the online form providing:
- A short biography (100 words)
- Three keywords
- A statement of what you research and how you make it travel (150 words)
- One great image of how your research travels
- One question you have around the dissemination of practice-based design research
Participants should also prepare, and bring with you a short 5 min presentation of one instance of dissemination of your research. This can also be work in progress or something you are about to try next. What did you do? What worked and why? What did not work?
There is an attendance fee of £10 to cover breakfast, refreshments and a drinks reception. Lunch is not included.
The study day is open to up to 30 people – please register ASAP to confirm your space. Please find more information on the PhD By Design website: http://phdbydesign.com/satelli
Deadline for registration is 16th April 2015
Bianca Elzenbaumer, Junior Research Fellow, Leeds College of Art
Maria Portugal, PhD candidate, Design Department, Goldsmiths, University of London
Alison Thomson, PhD candidate, Design Department, Goldsmiths, University of London